Thanks for the response!  Unfortunately, I have already followed that code
lab in my many attempts to get it to work.  What that code lab (and other
documentation I've gone through) doesn't address is the use of a WAR
formactor for packaging.  That code lab only works if my project is
producing a JAR.  If I update the project to produce a JAR instead then the
JSP pages stop working.  As best I can tell it seems that
GAE:Standard:Java11 only supports deployments with JAR files, while
SpringBoot:JSP only supports WAR packaging.  Do I have that wrong?

-Todd