Which documentation are you following? Are you thinking of using GAE Flex
or GAE Standard?

I have added a couple of links that you might find interesting that details
how requests are routed in GAE. Please note, this is for Python but the
concept is the same for other languages.

   -

   How Requests are Routed

<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/how-requests-are-routed>
   -

   Communicating Between Your Services

<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/communicating-between-services>
   -

   Serverless network endpoint groups overview
   <https://cloud.google.com/load-balancing/docs/negs/serverless-neg-concepts>