Hi again,

   1. *dev_appserver*: I replied in my other email that the tool currently
   is available for Python 3 but still requires some components from 2.7 to
   function properly and suggested you can file an external bug to make it
   fully functional in 3.x.
   2. *bundled services*: Google has made available as many of the bundled
   services as possible, but unfortunately there's currently no plan on making
   search available in the next generation runtimes. It is currently
   recommended to migrate to Elastic Search using a Compute Engine VM

<https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2015/01/Deploy-Elasticsearch-on-Google-Compute-Engine.html>
as
   recommended here

<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3/migrating-services#search>.
   The goal is not "to move people away from App Engine," but to make
   developers' apps more portable, so they can take their apps elsewhere if
   App Engine isn't the right fit for their needs (removing the notion of
   "vendor lock-in") by encouraging developers to migrate away from those
   legacy bundled services. They are strickly a migration tool to ease
   upgrading to Python 3 and will not receive any new features... all of the
   innovation is going into any standalone Cloud equivalent services.
   3. *2.x support*: As Alejandro alluded to, there are no current plans to
   shutdown the Python 2 runtime, even with the sunset of Python 2
   <http://python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/>, older Java, PHP 5, and Go
   versions older than 1.11, by their respective communities. Google Cloud has
   assured users by expressing continued long-term support of these legacy
   runtimes
   <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/long-term-support>,
   including maintaining the Python 2 runtime
   <https://cloud.google.com/python/docs/python2-sunset>. So while there is
   no requirement for users to migrate to Python 3 at this time, developers
   like you are expressing interest in updating their applications to the
   latest language releases.

Best regards,
--Wesley
"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun :: @wescpy <http://twitter.com/wescpy> :: Software
Architect & Engineer
    Developer Advocate at Google
<https://cloud.google.com/developers/advocates/wesley-chun/> by day; at
night: Core Python <http://amzn.com/dp/0132269937>

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:38 PM Sajal Gupta <sa...@visiblebox.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for your message.
>>
>> As you mention, Python has ended support for versions 2.x, and we do
>> encourage our users to use a 3.x version. However, I would like to answer
>> all your questions, point by point:
>>
>> 0 - Dev_appserver does indeed have support for Python 3, which you can
>> find here
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/tools/using-local-server>
>> [1].
>>
>> 1 - GAE still supports many 2.x bundled services in the Python 3 runtime,
>> including memcache and task queue. You can find more information about this
>> in this paragraph
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3#services>
>> [2] from the migrate to Python 3 page, and in this link
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/services/access>
>> [3]. However, currently, the recommendation is to consider migrating to
>> unbundled
>> Google Cloud products
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3/migrating-services>
>> [4]. There is a feature request about this which you can follow in this
>> link <https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131333728> [5].
>>
>> 2 - Currently we do not have any information about ending Python 2.x
>> support.
>>
>> 3 - As mentioned in the Google Cloud Platform Terms of Service
>> <https://cloud.google.com/terms/?skip_cache=true#:~:text=(d)%C2%A0Discontinuation%20of,offerings,%20or%20functionality>
>> [6], there will be at least 12 months notice before a discontinuation of
>> any service in Google Cloud. We will also ensure that any transition goes
>> as smoothly as possible, and provide support for any doubts about any
>> discontinuation.
>>
>> I hope this answers all your questions.
>>

>> [1]:
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/tools/using-local-server
>>
>> [2]:
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3#services
>>
>> [3]:
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/services/access
>>
>> [4]:
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3/migrating-services
>>
>> [5]: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131333728
>>
>> [6]:
>> https://cloud.google.com/terms/?skip_cache=true#:~:text=(d)%C2%A0Discontinuation%20of,offerings%2C%20or%20functionality
>>

>> On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 5:42:43 AM UTC sa...@visiblebox.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We understand that Python 2.7 has been deprecated and Google is advising
>>> customers to move to Python 3.7 for GAE.
>>>
>>> However, given that, there are several things in works at google related
>>> to moving to Python 3.7, e.g.
>>> 1. Dev_appserver still works only on python 2.7
>>> 2. Google has recently release memcache and taskqueue support for Python
>>> 3,7 and it is still in beta