Nicknames are shown for gmail.com and googlemail.com accounts, e.g.
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" becomes "danielobrien."

If your main goal is having a more readable display name and you
aren't worried about spam, we did recently add the ability to display
your full email address on your personal settings page.

Daniel