I would recommend putting the images in the wiki repository then linking to
them from there (i.e.,
wiki.projectname.googlecode.com/hg/images/logo.pngor something).

That way the files are nice and out of the way, not clogging up your
Downloads list or your main code repository.

We won't ban your project if it's a legitimate open source project just for
hosting some images for your wiki.