This project has been without an update for 8 months (see here):
http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

I have been updating the project for about 2 months here:
https://github.com/iBotPeaches/Apktool.
<https://github.com/iBotPeaches/Apktool>

Now for the questions.

1) About 8 months inactive.
2) Nothing fishy. Just taking over development of Apktool
3) Lots of code in the project. About 10,000 lines of Java.
4) Not scheduled for deletion.
5) Continue open source on GitHub. Maybe move back over to GoogleCode if
easy.
6) I've tried monthly via email, gtalk, google plus, XDA. Never
responded once. Frankly no one has gotten a response from brut.all. I
think hes dead :(
7) I can't prove it, but I think he has.
8) I've never hosting anything on GoogleCode. Lots on GitHub though.

My profiles:
https://github.com/iBotPeaches
http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=3924617

--