java drives me nuts for that reason -- old versions, at least, would limit
the amount of memory you could use to some constant.  You have to run with
java -Xmx1000000000 to give it 10^9 bytes of memory; otherwise it defaults
to something absurdly small, like 32 MB.  Of course, my working knowledge is
from about 2003, so I could be wrong. :-)