Hey Samuel! I answered you in chat as well, but in case anyone else is
wondering:

I totally understand the concern. A couple of things about that: I don't
work at Google anymore, so I'm the wrong person to ask to make a change.

I can tell you about why we made the decision originally though. It boils
down to this: we chose the time we thought most competitors could compete.
Late Saturday night is a better time than late Sunday night for people who
have to work on Monday. That's an issue for Japan, NZ, and other places
close to the date line on the west. I remember other considerations -- I
know it wasn't a perfect solution for holy days, for example, since Shabbat
(Saturday) is a holy day in Judaism -- but I think that was the major one.

Please bear in mind that I don't work at Google anymore, so if I've said
something incorrect or impolitic then please don't blame them. :-)

Bartholomew