I just ran into this today and think it might be a bug?

I have a Provider<Foo> which kind of implies that it would be explicitly
setup in a binding.

But it looks like the default constructor was being called.

This was giving me an non-started ActiveMQ broker which wasn't working.

Doesn't Provider sort of imply that it's going to be explicitly provided?
 Doing this implicitly seems like it's just prone to bugs.

I prefer Guice to fail fast ...is there a way do disable some of this?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-guice/5a00ad7b-a9d0-4f70-bf5d-5b7ff5d92b73%40googlegroups.com.