Guice never had a lot of activity in the open source area.
There was once a Apache project (Onami) which became abandoned a few years ago.

I feel Google is not very interested in a vivid community around Guice. Maybe they have enough internal factors driving Guice and do not want too many community driven changes which may conflict with their internal needs.

Never the less Guice is a very mature and stable piece of software.

As you mentioned the two alternatives are Spring and Dagger.

Spring is a framework where as Guice is a library. This means with Spring you not only get dependency injection but can easily add many more functionalities.

Dagger on the other end is focusing on performance over functionality. Also they have a annotation processor which does compile time validation. As a consequence of this they cannot offer all the functionalities Guice does (like injecting unannotated classes with an empty default constructor).

Hope this helps, and as always we would like to hear more about how the future of Guice is seen by Google ;)