Yep, i was wrong, i tried creating a calendar entry with a large
content size and there were no issues - the API isn't passing data
along in the URL at all, it manages to directly POST the contents
over. I think i now see how this might be implemented, we can add a
hidden IFrame into the page dynamically then build a form inside the
frame, also dynamically, and programmatically submit the form, as long
as the IFrame contents aren't loaded from a separate domain it can be
manipulated like this - by the way, i get a JS "Permission Denied"
error in IE6.

Bobby