Thanks for  starting this discussion!

I use GMap as a basis to display the position and route of my dutch
sailor-friends.
I plot the position and route from the data of there navigation
software.
I warned already my users NOT to use the data from my application to
navigate.
Until now I never found an error as big as you mentioned, but I am
warned now and look more secure.
And I will warn my users for this type of error.

My site (www.jade1.nl) is only in Dutch until now, but if you want to
see the Gmap and the routes I sailed,
 use to login (on the leftside):
username: gastjade1
password: gastjade1

click 'volgen' (follow) in the menu above and then 'reis volgen', you
get a list with my trips, click on 'Routekaart' of the first trip and
the GMap will come up with a sidebar with my position-reports. You can
zoom in on the nabourhood of Copenhagen Airport to see my boot
movements in the harbour of Kastrup. I think they are pretty secure.

with sailorgreetings,
Guus Jansen