How can I pull data from a text file automatically into a Google sheet,
then pass a resulting value back to that text file?

Say for example I have a text file being generated by a separate
application that generates a line such as
2, 2

This then gets passed to a Google sheet that places the first value in A1
and the second in A2.
In the spreadsheet A3 = A1+A2, therefore A3 would contain 4. Is there a way
to pass this result in A3 back to the text file, so that the resulting text
file would read something like:
2, 2, 4

Many thanks for any help.