After some back and forth on the issue at (
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/146274218), I agree that it's a bug.
If called without a deep filter, the API shouldn't require more than one
request to determine which of three mutually exclusive rotation states a
cell is in (angled, vertical, none).  Can someone at Google re-evaluate the
issue's current "won't fix" status?

Regards,
Dan