Correction:  this problem occurs, more-or-less the same, in Chrome
(8.0.552.231) Mac.

Experimented some more.  Hmmmm... this might be something:  For the
same brief text in Russian, starting from the URL

   http://translate.google.com/#ru|en|

i.e, with the "from" and "to" language specified in the URL, the
translator repeatedly fails.  It fails as described in my opening
post:  the translation appears briefly, and the page "resets" to an
empty or prior state.

However, starting from the "bare" URL:

    http://translate.google.com

or

    http://translate.google.com/#

and specifying  the "from" and "to" language manually, in the pull-
downs, succeeds repeatedly.

Now, via a mechanism I do not understand, when I load the bare URL

   http://translate.google.com

the URL is --sometimes-- auto-magically transformed shortly
thereafter  to

  http://translate.google.com/#

and then again the URL changes to

    http://translate.google.com/#ru|en|

I guess that there's a record of my most recent translation kept
somewhere --maybe in a cookie- and the Translator uses that
information to set up the next, new translation, presuming the same
"from" and "to" languages will be used.

So, my VERY tentative conclusion is that there's something not quite
right with this memory mechanism.  More reliable operation seems
possible when that mechanism is avoided or defeated. Maybe there's a
preference setting that will affect this, but I can't  find it.

Maybe more experiments will produce more specific results.




-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"General" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/google-translate-general?hl=en.

Reply via email to