Hi Tobias!
I have the same problem of you. I am waiting a long time for an update to
solve this issue :)

This happens because they follow this list of countries:
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm

Which doesn't include some of those countries in Europe (Cyprus,
Turkey....)
Malta and Luxemburg might just be to small to render in some dimensions.

It seems the issue entry has been 'accepted', but so far no news.
You can see some more info here:
https://code.google.com/p/google-visualization-api-issues/issues/detail?id=1049
(accepted issue entry)
https://code.google.com/p/google-visualization-api-issues/issues/detail?id=1093
https://code.google.com/p/google-visualization-api-issues/issues/detail?id=809
(bit longer discussion here).

I guess the most simply solution would be for the API to allow other codes
to be rendered by the map, even if they are not in the subset of the region
selected. Same way we can place a marker in Turkey, when having the
region:150 selected and markers mode.

Would be great to get an official status update on this :)