Well then I'm stumped.  I don't see any reason why two otherwise identical
charts would draw with different size chart areas if the only difference is
the range of the data.  I haven't been able to replicate that effect with
any other chart.

What do you do with chart1.data?  Do you pass that directly to the chart,
or do you use it to create a DataTable?  For reference, you should create a
DataTable to drive your charts instead of passing data arrays.