Well, if you're just looking for a hack, you should be able to change the
latitude to simulate elevation, and fill the polygon with gray. I don't
really have any other ideas. If you know that someone else has done this,
can you point to that? Maybe we can look at their code and figure out what
they're doing?

If you don't need to model any actual elevation and just want it to look
like it's elevated, you can use arcs to do that. Here is a stackoverflow
question that seems to do that:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24956616/draw-circles-arc-on-google-maps