I have now identified the problem for several sites, including the two
examples in my original post. Where sites are using the old (jsapi) method
of loading the Google Charts code, and the site also loads MooTools (tested
with v1.4.5), the "b.split is not a function" error always occurs. The mere
presence of MooTools is enough to trigger the error. For these sites, the
problem can be fixed either by switching to the new (loader.js) method of
would still like to know why this is the case,  but at least we know how to
fix it.

We understand that other cases exist that trigger the error when using the
new (loader.js) method of loading the Google Charts code, however I don't
currently have a case I can work on.