Thanks for comments, all.  Now suppose I want the gadget to receive a
"state change" notification every time the state has changed.  (I
don't want to have to continually poll an external site to see if
something has changed; I want a callback notification.)

Is it true that:
1) There is no good way to get a "state-change" callback if I use the
method where I manually store state in an external site?

2) If I use the robot to manage the state, I _will_ get a callback
when a robot changes the state of any gadget?

Thanks,
Rob