I am working on a gadget which works fine ... except that I need to
call a javascript alert to get it to work, otherwise the gadget does
not seem to get initialized (nothing is displayed) and, using firebug,
I found that wave.getState == null.

The complete code can (for now) be found at:
http://py-fun.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/google_wave/test1.xml

The relevant section is as follows:

    if (first_time){
        first_time = false;
        alert("This alert should be superfluous?!?\n wave is:"+(typeof
wave));
    }
    if (wave && wave.isInWaveContainer()){
      wave.getState().submitDelta(
        {
         'program-code':$("#program-editor").val(),
         'world-code':$("#world-editor").val()
        });
    }

André