Ah, I found my misunderstanding - the cursor annotation seem to show
NOT the users caret/cursor position, but the users selected text
range.
My debugging info shows the selected text range when I highlight some
text like so:

        Annotation: user/r/kq8Huhy1 value=cmd...@wavesandbox.com
range=5 9

So, it appears the actual user's cursor position is unavailable
currently - this makes sense now with other answers from Google I've
come across.