Well first off wavesandbox is not the same as wave preview, so you
need to be logged into the right account where the wave can be seen.
To change the background color you need to add this line
setUIConfig('green', 'white', 'Arial', '12pt'); where green would be
the background of the embedded wave, and white would be the font
color.

You can see the detailed information at:
http://code.google.com/apis/wave/embed/guide.html#UIConfig
I also would recommend you use the Embedy robot: embe...@appspot.com