Arthur, my apologies if I was wrong: I had my message posted to this
forum given that I was not looking for help (I had one workaround
implemented and I can think of another workaround which is to simply
ignore the received event) but rather wanted to share my findings.
I was hesitant to directly submit a bug because other OSS comunities
(like RedHat) require users to describe bugs in a forum first...

---

Sami, my understanding is that the suggested fix (with the else
clause) is only being called whenever a user calls UIObject.sinkEvents
() or UIObject.unsinkEvents()... which is not performed very often, is
it? I mean, it is not called during event propagation.

So why worry about the throughput issue? (BTW, 99% is a slightly
exagerated figure for the fall-back into the 'else' clause: there are
<30 events defined in the release I use (GWT 1.5.2) and in many cases,
the bit Event.ONMOUSEWHEEL might be actually set).

Finally looking at the W3C spec for these add/remove functions (see
link below) it is harmless to add a listener twice (i.e. it won't be
called twice) as well as removing a non-registered listener. Not sure
how well Mozilla implements that specification though...

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html#Events-Registration-interfaces

So I will now go down the route to submit a bug and... see what
happens next.

Thanks for your attention so far.
Yann