I take your point.
In the general case, server side dependencies need to be copied into
WEB-INF/lib.  Otherwise, the server code won't be able to access it.  I can
see how an XML parser might be a special case where the servlet container
could be reasonably expected to provide it.

Toby, do you have any thoughts on this?  I think you're familiar with the
pattern we're using of isolating Jetty from the system classpath to enforce
the rule that server deps have to go into WEB-INF/lib (as opposed to just
being on the system classpath).  How are things like XML parsers generally
treated?  Should we special-case this?

Thanks,
Scott

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM, nicolas de loof
<nicolas.del...@gmail.com>wrote:

> As I said my application has many other libs, including xerces (and spring,
> hibernate, aspectJ ...) so there is MANY reason for me to have another SAX
> parser in my classpath.
> The issue here is that in my case I can manually put the parser in
> web-inf/lib, but the maven plugin is expected to automagically configure the
> project, and has no simple way to detect what is the SAX parser used when
> running the project.
>
> Another option (that works) is to force use of the default SAX parser
> using
> -Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
> JVM option, but this has the side effect to require the SUN JVM. What about
> Jrockit fans ?
>
> Nicolas
>

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Scott Blum <sco...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I've seen this before.  The workaround is to put a copy of Xerces into
>> your WEB-INF/lib.
>> What's weird is that on my system, the default SAX parser factory is in
>> the com.sun.* namespace, which lives in the bootstrap ClassLoader and works
>> fine.  I wonder why your default SAX parser factory is pointing at the raw
>> org.apache version, which lives in gwt-dev and isn't on the bootstrap
>> loader?
>> We could always put an explicit pass-through in WebAppContextWithReload to
>> allow this package.  Can you file an issue and write back on this thread
>> with a link to it?
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM, nicolas de loof <
>> nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I'm testing the Eclipse lauch configuration generated by the
>>> gwt-maven-plugin for gwt 1.6.
>>> My webapp project has many dependencies managed as an Eclipse
>>> classpath-container (thanks to m2eclipse plugin).
>>> Running the lauch file I get a classpath issue :
>>>
>>> 16:57:29,331 ERROR [log.invoke0](?) failed
>>> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.jettylauncher$webappcontextwithrel...@1e2105f
>>> {/,D:\projets\bios\bios-relation-client\bios-rc-webapp\target\bios-rc-webapp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT}
>>> javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
>>> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl not found
>>> at
>>> javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:113)
>>>  at org.mortbay.xml.XmlParser.setValidating(XmlParser.java:92)
>>> at org.mortbay.xml.XmlParser.<init>(XmlParser.java:84)
>>>  at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.TagLibConfiguration.configureWebApp(TagLibConfiguration.java:199)
>>> at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1217)
>>>  at
>>> org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:513)
>>> at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:448)
>>>  at
>>> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher$WebAppContextWithReload.doStart(JettyLauncher.java:236)
>>> at