Comment by mark.renouf:

Well, I got things to work... once. Most times my App seems to launch and
loads the index page and selection script (.nocache.js) but then nothing
happens. It doesn't seem to connect back to the HostedMode server.

If I reload, I get a JS error (as displayed in firebug):

document.body is null
http://localhost:8888/UI/UI.nocache.js
Line 186

Which is the line:
     "document.body.appendChild(scriptFrame);"

 From function "fetchCompiledScript()" in the selection script.

Any ideas?

I still don't know what I did to get it to work once. But I know it had
come up with the above JS error and I hit "Shift-Reload" and I saw a
connection in the HostedMode app, and my GWT app started up in Firefox and
worked fine. But it died again when my app tried to open a new window. :-(

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM