I'll be the bad guy and try to lower expectations: whatever we end up doing,
it has to be fast. We've seen some *horrible* usability problems with fancy
tables -- even at a small number of rows -- and so don't be surprised if we
have to pare back features and reduce API flexibility to ensure that a few
key use cases are sufficiently high performance.

-- Bruce