Comment by brett.wooldridge:

Just a message to the Google GWT team that while I appreciate the
theoretical utility of pruning unused methods, especially as applicable to
the GWT core UI classes themselves, the applicability to end-user code is
likely much less.

I routinely run dead code analysis against my source and remove unused
methods.  So, while it's nice that the compiler would do that for me, it is
certainly not a necessity.  If a developer's code is too big because of
dead code, it should be on his/her shoulders to fix it themselves.

If somehow we (end-users) could control which modules were pruned of
un-invoked methods it may serve to solve part of the problem.  A user such
as m.zdila who would like their user's "plugins" to have full access to the
UI component APIs could turn off (all?) pruning.  Sure, maybe the result
would be a 2meg JavaScript file, but that's his choice.

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/CodeSplitting