I wonder how much work we could make Eclipse do for us. Under the 'Refactor'
menu there are a few useful optional to record / playback refactorings:

Migrate JAR File Migrates a JAR File on the build path of a project in your
workspace to a newer version, possibly using refactoring information stored
in the new JAR File to avoid breaking changes.
  Available: JAR Files on build path Create Script Creates a script of the
refactorings that have been applied in the workspace. Refactoring scripts
can either be saved to a file or copied to the clipboard. See *Apply Script*.

  Available: Always Apply Script Applies a refactoring script to projects in
your workspace. Refactoring scripts can either be loaded from a file or from
the clipboard. See *Create Script*.
  Available: Always History Browses the workspace refactoring history and
offers the option to delete refactorings from the refactoring history.
  Available: Always

What if you recorded all the refactorings you wanted to make and then let
developers simply replay them on their own projects? In fact, the Eclipse
plugin could potentially prompt to auto upgrade projects to the new API.

Fred

--
Fred Sauer
Developer Advocate