On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Fred Sauer <fre...@google.com> wrote:

> When switching GWT versions on my project I get this error (when I'm
> lucky):
>
> *[ERROR] Invalid version number "2.0" passed to external.gwtOnLoad(),
> expected "1.6"; your hosted mode bootstrap file may be out of date; if you
> are using -noserver try recompiling and redeploying your app*
>

> However, if I'm switching within a given version of GWT (say because I'm
> working off of trunk and updating or rolling back) I may in fact have
> incorrect contents in hosted.html but a correct version. This means the
> above error message is never thrown, but hosted mode is unexplainably
> broken.
>
> Should this be an issue? It would be great if GWT checked the contents of
> hosted.html and replaced the file if needed.

I'm not sure I understand the issue.  If you have different versions of
hosted.html and GWT, things are likely to not work and that is why that
check was added in 1.6.  I don't see how you could have the incorrect
contents of hosted.html but the correct version, unless you update/rollback
parts of GWT separately, in which case you are already likely to break
things if you don't know what you are doing.

In the -noserver case, GWT never sees the hosted.html your web server
serves, and the version number is passed to the plugin from hosted.html (or
gwt.external in legacy hosted mode) -- it could conceivably do an XHR for
hosted.html and send the entire contents (or a hash) rather than just the
version number, but that seems overkill as I don't see a reasonable way the
version number contained in the hosted.html file will get out of sync with
the rest of the hosted.html file.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google