I am confident that r6108 fixed the problem I was having with GWT
trunk last night. I think I just happened to try to build during a
brief period where the build had broken. By the time r6108 had been
committed, I had already moved on to other things.

I see what you're saying about incubator being bogged down by
backwards compatibility. I had thought of incubator more as a place to
develop new APIs rather than a place to build on pre-release APIs. The
issue as it sounds to me is that when a new API develops outside of
incubator (such as in GWT trunk), you want to develop/update incubator
widgets with that API before it gets into a GWT milestone.

Would a branch for 1.7 really help with the morass problem? If you
maintain the branch, then you still have to code incubator changes
against two different versions of GWT. If you don't maintain the
branch, then it's not particularly useful.

Going forward should the advice be "don't use incubator unless you
plan to stay at the bleeding edge of GWT trunk?" I can't speak for
other developers, but if that had been the case then I don't think I
would've ever used incubator widgets in my work projects. Maybe I
shouldn't have used them, but they've been very helpful so far. None
of the widgets have been production quality to begin with, but I've
been able to report bugs and get bug fixes committed, sometimes
supplying fixes myself, and build from incubator trunk without
worrying that I'd have to update my GWT core to a trunk build. Losing
that assurance will hurt, but it won't be the end of the world. It
will definitely make it harder for me to benefit from the latest
incubator widget bug fixes.