Joel, I think that the problem could be setting 'cssFloat' property on IE
using javascript.
I made a little test changing this line on TabLayoutPanel.java:111

      getElement().getStyle().setProperty("cssFloat", "left");
      getElement().getStyle().setProperty("styleFloat", "left");

Obviously this works on IE but not on the rest.