On 2010-02-12, at 1:15 PM, Ray Cromwell wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Scott Blum <sco...@google.com> wrote:

>> - I dislike the whole transition period followed by having to forcibly
>> update all linkers, unless there's a really compelling reason to do so.
>
> In general, I'd agree, but the number of linkers in the wild appears
> to be small, this may be a case of trying to preserve an API that only
> 5 or 10 people in the world are using.

+1. I've written a handful of custom linkers (including one in the public
gwt-firefox-extension project), but I'm used to updating them between GWT
releases to work around subtle changes in the linker contract (ie: the
evolution of hosted mode, various global variable changes, etc).

I'd rather have a clean linker system that changes from version to version than
an awkward one with a lot of legacy interfaces.

Matt.