Comment by atul.dambalkar:

Thanks for the response.

I agree with you the example posted here is not leaking in any obvious way. I did notice that the underlying elements are getting detached from the DOM (as those get cleared from the underlying container). But there is one very peculiar thing that I have noticed (and it's true for our big GWT application as well) which is, if you move away from the existing page (browse a different website, let's say, a very light page www.google.com), then browser's memory actually goes down substantially. Which makes me believe that the Javascript GC is definitely getting kicked-in when the DOM itself goes out of scope. But then question is why the heck Javascript GC is so unpredictable when the DOM is still in scope and there are elements to be re-claimed?

Let me see if I can forward you some small example code from our app.

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DomEventsAndMemoryLeaks