>> What is important is that we can have the eclipse plugin/browser
>> plugins without the need for an active internet connection.
>
> You can do that, though it takes a bit of work -- basically mirror the
> directory off the server and unpack it, then point the Eclipse update
> site at the unpacked folder.  I did that to install it on my home
> machine before it was available via any public URL.  I don't know if
> your department that tracks software would find that acceptable or
> not.

how can I mirror the website for the eclipse update site ? I can not
get a directory listing there.
Additionally the IE plugin is actually just an empty shell that needs
to go to the internet to download the latest version.

There are some very old versions of the browser plugins available in
the trunk but I guess it was put there one day and totally forgotten
afterwards ?

David