FYI, if I modify to:

        @Override
        public String saveTriggered() {
                getRequestContext().edit(getValue());
                getValue().setActive(!view.isPracticeDeactivated());
                save();
                return null;
        }

still throws

Reduced test case:

final Driver driver = GWT.create(Driver.class);

                driver.initialize(requests, view);

requests.find(handle.stableId()).with(driver.getPaths()).fire(chain.add(new
Receiver<PracticeHandle>() {
                        @Override
                        public void onSuccess(final PracticeHandle response) {
                                final PracticeRequest rc =
requests.practiceRequest();

                                rc.edit(response);
                                response.setActive(false);  // Throws