On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski <
grzegorz.kossakow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Poking around a bit more I found that gwtc seems to assume internally
> that whenever type name contains '$' it's in "binary form" and if it
> doesn't contain dollar sign then it can be considered to be in "source
> form". It's worth noting (and it's admitted in gwtc's internals) that
> this condition doesn't split of all type names into disjoint union of
> two respective sets.
>
> Anyway, my question is: how much of gwt internals rely on this
> distinction? I noticed that gwtc is doing handful number of
> conversions between those two forms. This is particularly problematic
> for my work because jribble can have dollar sign in it's type name and
> this would be extremely hard to change.
>
> Also, it looks like Java allows type names containing dollar sign:
>
> mac-grek:javajunk grek$ echo 'class A$B {}' > A\$B.java
> mac-grek:javajunk grek$ javac 'A$B.java'
> mac-grek:javajunk grek$ javap 'A$B'
> Compiled from "A$B.java"
> class A$B extends java.lang.Object{
>    A$B();
> }

FYI, Java does allow '$'s in class names, but IIRC javac can get confused,
for example, if you pipe in two classes into the same compile run:

class A {
  static class B {
  }
}

class A$B {
}

They're two distinct classes, but happen to have identical names. That said,
I think we generally try to not assign semantic information to '$'s in class
names.