You don't have to add a param type if the app data slot is simply of type
object. No one will die if they have to cast the thing. But if the people
who originally requested this feature are willing to back off and maintain a
map instead, is even that much api clutter really warranted?

@portersi, what stopped you from using a custom column class instead of a
map?