Thanks for the replies John & Jens,

The app can run in http/https, the user can then configure the app to
consume various resources, for example rss feeds, web services - in
this instance the feed resources contained images which were then
loaded over http.

The issue was/is that IE throws a javascript network error when the
image has it's url set - this is only reproducible in IE + GWT + SSL -
mimicking the GWT code in vanilla Javascript + IE +SSL doesn't throw
any errors, so I don't *think* it's a certificate/ssl/browser thing.

Your right we should be using history management - but the inclusion
of an iframe shouldn't cause a runtime error. Again this only occurs
in IE + GWT + SSL.

Cheers,
Dave