On 26/09/2011 14:11, Ray Cromwell wrote:

Alan Leung of the GWT team is working on a partial fix for this, called Automatic Fragment Merging, it merges together fragments automatically in order to reduce the size of leftovers while increasing the size of the exclusive fragments (which in many cases are too small and should be bigger). If code X is in fragment A and B, but not C and D, then if we merge A and B, X becomes exclusive. This means # of split points != # fragments, so you could have 30 split points, but only 15 fragments.

Thanks very much Ray for the info. I have another approach to try - I may replace all RPC code with a Command executor and restrict access to it behind a runAsync() so all RPC code is in the single split point (and thus not in the left overs)

The problem with using RPC directly is that the actual plumbing code is auto-generated so I can't restrict its access to behind a split point.

Would this work: create all RPC services in a factory class that can only be instantiated behind a runAsync(). Perhaps I could also break other classes out into such "split point factories" such as Calendar widgets (large size also).

Have you, or anyone else used such an architecture to reduce the left over fragment? Any better suggestions?

Thanks,

John