I am interested in helping "modernize" the gwtproject.org
website/documentation and part of that effort would include moving the code
to GitHub.

I think GitHub provides a certain amount of credibility that lacks with the
current Gerrit system.
Moving to GitHub would encourage more people to contribute and get involved
because they are familiar with the github UI and the process for submitting
pull requests, performing code reviews, etc.
Not to mention, it is simply much more social and transparent.

It sounds like Gerrit has a feature that only allows patches from people
that have signed contributor legal agreements.
I guess I don't really understand why this is necessary now that GWT has
become fully open sourced and is no longer owned by Google.
However, if this is actually necessary, couldn't we simply use a git commit
hook to enforce it?

AngularJS is on GitHub..doesn't make sense to me why Google Web Toolkit
can't be.