On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Ivan Markov <ivan.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear GWT team (and John in particular),
>

> In other words, with the new incremental compiler, the biggest slowdown
> during recompilation seems to be the linker now, right?
> If the linking time can go down to, say, a couple of seconds, then SDM is
> there (IMO).

Yes, we are working on speeding up the linkers right now. Most of the
linkers just write a file to disk, which should happen in less than a
second.

> For example, I noticed that a huge amount of time (> 50% of the whole
> linking time) is spend in "Saving source with extras", i.e. SourceSaver.
> Given that these sources are only needed by the browser during a
> sourcemap-based debugging session, can't they be served on the fly by the
> code server rather than being pregenerated on disk during the
> recompilation? There are debugging scenarios (in-IDE debugging with SDBG),
> where these source files are not even needed and never requested from the
> codeserver.

Actually, saving sources isn't strictly needed to make source maps work,
especially for non-Googlers, so we can probably default this to false.

> Finally one side question:
> Does the incremental compiler preserve the names of the generated
> JavaScript types/functions across recompiles? Including the names of the
> types/functions which ARE recompiled (as long as the programmer did not
> change the name of the corresponding Java method/class, that is)?

Yes, within a session. If you restart SDM, then no. Hot-patching and
expression evaluation are definitely things we've discussed (I want to
build an Apple XCode/Swift Playground-like REPL for fun myself), but first
we've got to make the normal SDM experience out of the box great, including
IDE integration and super-fast recompile.  Once we get there, hopefully we
can do the other things and reach a state that was better than DevMode was.