Not quite. Anything that continues to return user.client.Element can only
be overridden to return user.client.Element or a subclass.

To pick a case at random (ahem, GXT), say you want to override
UiObject.getElement for whatever reason. GWT 2.6-2.7 means that we can't
change that return type, since you can't override methods and return a
superclass (or a subclass of the superclass).

If we assume that no downstream code ever subclasses and overrides any
method that returns user.client.Element, yes, we can cut over cleanly in
the future, you are right. But GXT notwithstanding, the SimplePanel class
is meant to be subclassed and have getContainerElement() return a different
container for the child - I'd be very surprised if there is no downstream
code that does this somewhere.

Example:
FooLib v1 is compatible with GWT 2.5, when user.client.Element was not
deprecated. It has a SimplePanel subclass called HeaderPanel, which
overrides getContainerElement() to return a specific child element.
GWT 2.6 deprecates user.client.Element, so FooLib v1 is compatible with
both GWT 2.5 and 2.6. As it should be.
To catch up, FooLib v2 would like to remove usages of user.client.Element,
but since SimplePanel.getContainerElement() still requires that return
type, it can't. The best they can do is find all cases of
user.client.Element and cast up to dom.client.Element from the return value
of methods like getElement() and getContainerElement().
Lets say GWT 2.7 cuts all user.client.Element. Now FooLib v1 and v2 are
*incompatible* with GWT 2.7, even though they compatible with 2.6, and v2
was writing the cleanest possible code (returning a deprecated type). Not
ideal.
Or, with the patch I'm offering, GWT 2.7 keeps user.client.Element, but now
has SimplePanel.getContainerElement return a supertype of
user.client.Element, so subclasses are free to *further restrict* the
return type (like v1/v2 is doing), or use the dom.client.Element. The v1
version will probably have issues if it uses the returned value from
getContainerElement() as a user.client.Element, but v2 corrected that, so
v2 now is compatible with GWT 2.6 and GWT 2.7. Win.
Next, GWT 2.8 or 3.0 drops all remaining traces of user.client.Element, and
since v2 didn't use it any more, in this regard v2 is also compatible with
GWT 2.8/3.0. Of course, this won't happen, some other API detail will
break, I promise (Splittable.removeReified, removed logger classes breaking
.gwt.xml, required <resource> tags causing warnings, etc).