On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 11:40:56 PM UTC+2, ManfredTremmel wrote:

> I've read in the 2.8rc1 release notes
> <https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt-site/pull/181> that JSR 303 Bean
> Validation in GWT is unmaintaned and marked as deprecated. For me, the
> client and server side validation is a killer feature and
> I've already solve the problems I had and also improved the client side
> bean validation in my gwt-bean-validators
> <https://github.com/ManfredTremmel/gwt-bean-validators> project on
> github. In three weeks I can invest some time in working into the gwt
> implementation of bean validation and try to port it to 1.1 api. If you are
> interested I would also include the improvements of my project into GWT.
> Let me know if you are interested in my help or have any question.

We decided (a long time ago) that we wanted to modularize GWT, and move to
side-projects what could be decoupled. The goal is to spread maintenance to
more people (hopefully) by reducing the scope of each project, and allowing
those side-projects to have different release cycles than GWT. This means
that GWT does not need to wait for some bugs to be fixed or features to be
added to some parts of the code before a release can be cut, concentrating
on the compiler and core (emulation, etc.), and projects can release
without waiting for a GWT release either.

So, if you can contribute some time, it'd be great to be able to move Bean
Validation to its own project and out of GWT proper (there'd still be some
javax.validation emulation in GWT proper, at least some interfaces; but
there may be some work needed to make other GWT features independent of the
Bean Validation version being used; I think there's some code in Editors or
Request Factory that implements a javax.validation interface). Then the
project can live its own life and update to a newer Hibernate Validator,
etc.
FWIW, JBoss has interest in Bean Validation too, so you may want to get in
touch with Christian Sadilek.
See https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9367 for more on the matter.
FWIW, Putnami PWT also has some form of JSR 303 support, so I suppose
they'd be interested in, at least, following the changes made to GWT on the
subject.

In any case, all help is welcome. So, welcome, and thank you in advance for
your contributions !