On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 9:29:30 AM UTC+1, stuckagain wrote:

> Speaking of j2cl and GWT 3.0 it would be nice if somehow the development
> did not happen behind closed doors.
> It would give us a better indication of where it is heading. I feel a bit
> anxious about the future because of this.

J2Cl is a Google project.
AFAIK, they don't/didn't want to opensource it too early because they're
not ready to deal with external feedback and building a community, etc.
First impression matters and they don't just want a "code drop" that nobody
outside Google would be able to test or even build. They first didn't want
to opensource it before they were sure that it was viable; they're now
using it on Docs and Slides (and maybe Inbox too) so they're moving forward.
Because Google (googlers please correct me if I'm wrong) eventually want to
move all their projects out of GWT (2.x) and towards J2Cl (it'll take time,
maybe 2 years, who knows; and in the mean time, GWT 2 will still have
support from Google), and because the GWT Compiler is a complex thing that
almost only Google ever touched; the Steering Committee (please other
members correct me if I'm wrong) decided that GWT 3 would be (re)built on
top of J2Cl, *iff* that was possible (I don't have much doubts here) and
with a good developer experience (Google has specific tools that make their
DX much different from what the rest of us can experience).
This is a Steering Committee decision, a "community" decision, not a Google
one. Actually, we should expect Google to not even *use* GWT 3 per se, but
only J2Cl and compatible libs; GWT 3 really being a "community" project
(and Google still being part of it as providing J2Cl and sharing libs). But
this is still handwaving for now, as nobody outside Google has seen J2Cl
yet (the Steering Committee, and probably select contributors, should have
an early access to it in the coming weeks/months, to have a better sense of
how GWT 3 could look like, and possibly help in the opensourcing process
–particularly about using it outside Google, e.g. with Maven/Gradle)

So, we all want to see J2Cl, but keep in mind that J2Cl is not (and will
not be) a "community project", it will be (and stay) a Google open source
project (that GWT will use).
Google decides when it's OK to opensource it (they actually started the
process, but it has to go through the legal department, etc.), then the GWT
Steering Committee will decide whether and how to use it.

This is all I know as of today¹. I too am eager to see J2Cl, though I
already have some ideas on how GWT 3 could use it.

¹ Well, actually, we know that J2Cl is invoked similarly to JavaC, and they
there's no notion of "super source": you just put the "emulated sources" in
the "source path" in place of the "JVM-only sources". This means we could
possibly keep the gwt.xml in GWT 3 and have it "drive" J2Cl by passing the
appropriate "source path" (and depending on how it works at the API level,
maybe reuse the ResourceOracle). This will have to be decided, later, when
we actually see J2Cl and can start playing with it a bit.