... continuing the above - there is more. Let's now come back to the
analysis part. Yes, it is possible to do the "whole-world analysis" outside
the compiler. But what perspective should the analysis take? It is
irrelevant if it cannot reduce the number of possible classes - we don't
want all of Java runtime library in there, for example. We need to discover
which parts are needed from the code that *could* be executed. GWT
determines this based on entry points and other configuration in the
*.gwt.xml files **and** what it finds in the compilation classpath, as
configured, including its own version of the standard library. So, the
pre-compilation analysis tool would have to configured exactly the same and
process exactly the same configuration as the GWT compilation step. This
would have to evolve in lockstep with GWT. It would also be doing the same
processing and analysis that GWT already has to do - at least the step of
deciding which bits of code to convert to JavaScript before any further
optimization.

Are we done with that? Whether or not you think that this still can or
should be done outside and with no integration with J2CL, let's move on to
the debugging. How about *any* dev mode where the code is to be
automatically updated on demand? What event signifies that demand? When can
we trigger that analysis and code gen step before, say, the Super Dev Mode
of the future gets hold of the code? Again, without any ways to hook into
that, we'd be relying on the analysis and code generation already having
been done by the time SDM has to do anything with it and that means either
manual triggering or something like "on save", if that can be monitored
(not reliable). And how would that pre-step be configured by the developer?
Duplicating configuration but possibly in a different way?