'I think either you've misunderstood "hijax", you've misunderstood
GWT, or you're being belligerent.'

Probably all three to some degree.

I guess I look at it this way, if I can write the "app" in Java, and
have GWT translate it to a form that will run in the browser, then I
would like to do that.  I want to have my cake and eat it too.  If I
have think of it more in terms of html+javascript then I see GWT as
much less of a win over the "all GWT" way of doing it.

I'm also not convinced that the web crawler couldn't follow links in a
dynamically generated page.  Although I suppose that's not really the
problem so much as exactly what to link to.