hi,

I think you should look at Spring security at least to find some
inspiration...

I have done a small integration at
http://code.google.com/p/net-orcades-spring/ where you will find some sample
on how to:
  - unmarshall the GWT payload (if you choose RPC parameter).
  - handle exception

If you don't want to use spring could build your own J2EE filter to do the
job.

You could also store the roles / token in the cookies (crypted/signed
ofcourse)  than you don't need session at all !

--
"Quand le dernier arbre sera abattu, la dernière rivière asséchée, le
dernier poisson péché, l'homme va s'apercevoir que l'argent n'est pas