Of course this is expected behavior! When you are talking about time,
that time is relative to your location. Just because it is noon where
you are, doesn't mean it is noon where I am.

If you are in New York, and post a schedule to your server that
indicates that you will be having a conference call at 4pm, when your
associate in LA pulls up the schedule, you don't want it to say 4pm,
you want it to say Noon, otherwise you'll miss each other by 4 hours.
And what about your partners in India? you don't want them to have to
guess at what time zone you set that schedule in, then try to figure
the offset on their own.

If you don't want to take into account timezones when passing date/
time back and forth between the server, simply serialize the data
yourself to something that doesn't include time zones ... like a
string "Jan 28, 2008 1:45pm"

-jason