If the server is on a different location you can however use JSONP to
perform the request.

I have wrote a quick tutorial on this in a J2EE container but the
client side code will still be the same:

http://eggsylife.blogspot.com/2008/10/gwt-and-cross-site-jsonp-in-j2ee.html

This is taken from a very good article from Dan Morill at Google on
how to access web service using JSONP and GWT:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=65632&topic=11368

Dans article particularly addresses the client side code.

Eggsy